A man has sustained serious injuries after setting off an explosion in his kitchen trying to kill insects with a home made ‘flamethrower’.
The man set fire to a can of insect spray in an effort to kill a large amount of cockroaches but ended up in hospital with lacerations to his hands and head, ABC reported.
Emergency crews attended his Abel Smith Parade in Mt Isa, Queensland, about 8pm Wednesday, where it was believed flying shrapnel caused his injuries.
A man sustained serious injuries after setting off an explosion in his kitchen trying to kill insects with a home made ‘flamethrower’
He was in the home with other people but was the only one injured and was taken to Mt Isa Hospital for treatment.
The ‘viscous explosion’ caused the windows and other kitchen items to shatter, rendering the home unlivable, according to station officer Ian Louden.
‘The instructions are put on these things for a purpose and if failure to follow them can result in as it did in this case extreme damage to the property,’ he said.
Mr Louden said the man was lucky to be alive, having been discharged from hospital Wednesday night with stitches on his head.
The man set fire to a can of insect spray in an effort to kill a large amount of cockroaches
‘My understanding is the other people in the house were in their bedrooms at the time. It didn’t travel very far, but it was a very vicious explosion in the area where it was.’
A neighbour said he felt a strong resounding vibration before seeing a man walking around holding his face.
Another nearby resident was sitting on her balcony at the time and said her children ran for cover when they heard the explosion.